my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  MassageResource.com   » Massage Business Discussions   » Massage Ethics and Etiquette   » Undraped Massage

Author Topic: Undraped Massage
tom
Member # 84

posted 01-05-2000 08:44 PM     Profile for tom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanted to know how massage therapists really feel about undraped massages. If the therapists has worked with the client before, and knows they are not looking for sex, how likely would this be to effect their decision. Also what would be the best way to ask.
Hopefully I will get some responses on this.

Thanks,

Tom

[This message has been edited by Admin (edited 01-13-2000).]

Posts: 1 | From: Raleigh, NC | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Alex Matthews
Member # 22

posted 01-05-2000 09:32 PM     Profile for Alex Matthews   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tom,

I can't answer for everyone but I'll give you my two cents. According to the ethics that I and the associations of professional massage therapist it's unethical to work without draping. I've been a therapist for twelve years and draping too easy to work with now.

Second, I'm not sure why someone would make it an issue to not have it.
Third, I've worked too hard to build a reputation of "professional ethical care" for my clients to even have the issue come up in my area of not using a drape.
Forth, in my state it's the law, you have to drape the genital area.
Fifth, even if the therapy room is warm as you get your massage your blood pressure can be reduced, this can cause your body temp to go down and you'll get cold. I'm six foot seven and can get warm doing massage. Draping allows me to keep the room cool enough not to melt doing massage and the client warm enough not to be disturbed.
Sixth, sometimes clients nod off getting a massage, if someone were to fall asleep for even a few seconds and wake not knowing were their at without draping that could be pretty darn startling even for me.
Seventh, You never know, too many times itís the client that knows you well that can change from admiration to infatuation. Draping gives you a safe boundary. It maybe artificial but it works.

My two cents!

Blessings
Alex

Posts: 71 | From: Austin,Texas, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
carmela
Member # 73

posted 01-05-2000 09:49 PM     Profile for carmela     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Part of being effective massage therapists is our ability to create a healing, safe environment during our sessions. We do that by forging a relationship of trust and respect with our clients. That includes ensuring that our dignity, and the dignity of our clients, remain intact. Proper draping is an essential element to creating an effective healing environment.

In Los Angeles, undraped massages are illegal and will get your license revoked.

Posts: 583 | From: Nipomo, CA | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Michele
Member # 6

posted 01-06-2000 09:01 AM     Profile for Michele   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
While I ALWAYS insist on proper draping with clients, I understand that there are many people for whom undraped massage would offer no problems. But which clients would be okay? Since none of us know the answer to that, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Alex about the all the reasons draping has to be done.

When I massage my spouse draping is not an issue, for obvious reasons. Equally obvious are the reasons I drape a client. Having PHYSICAL boundaries (no matter how "weak") reinforces the mental & emotional boundaries that are essential in the therapist-client relationship. In such a personal service, we must be extremely careful to establish such limits.

I would encourage any LMT's out there interested in performing undraped massage to do so with a significant other, not paying clients. Completely nude/undraped massage is a very "free" experience, but only appropriate under very limited circumstances.

Michele

Posts: 565 | From: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
JeAnne
Member # 44

posted 01-14-2000 10:50 AM     Profile for JeAnne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Call me a stick in the mud, but I insist on draping regardless. Once in a while, my workroom is extrememly hot (the landlord swears he can't do anything about it) and if the client requests it, I'll use a smaller drape than the sheet.

I even insisted on draping when working with my husband, just to make sure I didn't make any sort of mental link between massage therapy and backrubs in the bedroom. Since so many jurisdictions are enacting massage laws, I just find it safer to draw lines somewhere, and draping is one of them.

I think keeping massage with a significant other purely professional also reinforces to those partners with issues about our work that when the table is out, the clinician is in. Even though the session can be so much more than clinical, clear boundaries reinforce there is no invitation to follow-up on any sexual feelings that may arise.

What others choose to do is, of course, up to them. Personally, I prefer not to run the risk of playing with fire.

Posts: 252 | From: Charlottesville, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Mensrights
Member # 421

posted 04-10-2001 06:55 PM     Profile for Mensrights   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
When massaging is taking place undraped at Esalen, is the bodyworker unethical, and is the client being worked on unethical?

In France, draping is the exception. Are all such Fench bodyworkers unethical?

It would be interesting to hear from the people here what specifically they don't like about nudity and bodies.

carmela
Member # 73

posted 04-10-2001 10:55 PM     Profile for carmela     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It would be interesting to hear why you specifically respond only to old messages that relate to sexual subjects.
Mensrights
Member # 421

posted 04-11-2001 09:43 AM     Profile for Mensrights   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I would ask you the same question Carmla....
carmela
Member # 73

posted 04-11-2001 10:45 AM     Profile for carmela     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
No, I don't think you would.
Michele
Member # 6

posted 04-11-2001 01:56 PM     Profile for Michele   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
carmela:

It seems some of the newest posters have been really busy unearthing only threads that dealt with sexual issues, at least one of which was last responded to about *year* ago. Just by chance? Suuuure. And pigs fly.

Michele

Posts: 565 | From: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sally
Member # 423

posted 04-12-2001 08:51 PM     Profile for Sally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Tom,

When I took some courses learning lymphatic drainage, we worked on females breasts, females and males underarms, the thigh/trunk interface and the general groin area on both men and women serving as massage models. In each instance each area was undraped, and nobody made an issue out of it.

There seemed to be a consensus within the class that if doctors who screw people up can inpsect nude patients, palpated breasts and squeeze nipples, put their fingers deep in every one of their orifices and often leave them nothing but more broke, then we who do far more good for society are entitled to do whatever we feel is best for the clients well being.

I have heard of some ordinances requiring that massage practiioners wear underwear. Do they check doctors for their drawers?

I feel that these repressive, selectively applied rules are insulting, degrading and anyone who follows them like mindless lemmings deserves to be treated as such.

p.s. I see it seems only "controversial" topics are getting much updating here.

Posts: 25 | From: Timbuktu, Nepal | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
michael
Member # 775

posted 05-01-2002 12:32 AM     Profile for michael     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sally:
Tom,

When I took some courses learning lymphatic drainage, we worked on females breasts, females and males underarms, the thigh/trunk interface and the general groin area on both men and women serving as massage models. In each instance each area was undraped, and nobody made an issue out of it.

There seemed to be a consensus within the class that if doctors who screw people up can inpsect nude patients, palpated breasts and squeeze ******* , put their fingers deep in every one of their orifices and often leave them nothing but more broke, then we who do far more good for society are entitled to do whatever we feel is best for the clients well being.

I have heard of some ordinances requiring that massage practiioners wear underwear. Do they check doctors for their drawers?

I feel that these repressive, selectively applied rules are insulting, degrading and anyone who follows them like mindless lemmings deserves to be treated as such.

p.s. I see it seems only "controversial" topics are getting much updating here.

Hi. I'm new here. I just started cruising the msg board; I don't unearth old sexual topics for jollies. I liked everyone's response except perhaps for mensrights. I've worked at clothing-optional places: hot springs and a Bed & Brkfst place. Kind of weird for me at first, but I got over it and felt it was a good experience. Helped me get over my discomfort about people's sexual responses. It is difficult to tell if the women have a sexual response, but the men often do (obviously). I have had very few inappropriate responses. Inappropriate for my work. Quite appropriate for a massage bordello. I find that the sexual arousal stage usually passes into deep relaxation state if I just cooly move along. I disagree w/shaming anyone about their sexuality, unless it is physically or emotionally cruel to someone else. I find I must keep my intuition operating to detect infatuation/sexual fantasies that might be developing and back up a bit...back up a bit more, perhaps. Usually clients can intuit my pulling away, and adjust their expectations or stop using my services. Basically, draping is very good for moderating body temperature, which usually drops during a massage. Most people experience drapes as comforting. I do, too.

Posts: 3 | From: Boscobel, WI | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
maestra
Member # 590

posted 05-01-2002 04:42 PM     Profile for maestra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Michael,
Happy to see another Wisconsinite on the bulletin board. That makes 4 of us, I think: you, "Molly", "Natman", and myself. When I went to massage therapy school here in WI, one of my teachers had went for training at a school where clothing is optional.
As for myself, I must admit, I would be uncomfortable if I wasn't draped. I don't even like to trade with other massage therapists who just cover you with a towel! (I'm like, "Let me know, I will bring my own sheets"!) I guess that is why we say to undress to your "comfort level". That can range quite a bit! LOL!

Posts: 384 | From: WI | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST(US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Massage & Bodywork Resource Center

Copyright © 1996-2009 Wellness Communications. All Rights Reserved.