my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  MassageResource.com   » Miscellaneous Discussions   » General Discussion Area   » Cleaning sheets

Author Topic: Cleaning sheets
balanced massage
Member # 1440

posted 10-02-2004 02:41 PM     Profile for balanced massage     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Does anyone know if any of the products out there work well for removing oil from sheets? Especially old oil... I hate to spend the money if they don't work...

Thanks!

Jennifer
Member # 128

posted 10-02-2004 02:52 PM     Profile for Jennifer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I know that getting that oil out is very difficult, I have the same problem. It's worse on my 100% cotton sheets, my poly/cotton ones are barely stained at all.
The one thing that I found that worked relatively well to get rid of the oil was painting dish detergent onto the stains, rubbing them a bit and then washing them. Do Not add extra laundry detergent when you wash them, and it may take a couple of rinses to get all the soap out.
Good Luck,
Jenn

Posts: 96 | From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
weeks
Member # 85

posted 10-02-2004 04:49 PM     Profile for weeks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dawn detergent works especially well for the removal of oils (hate pitching products)in Jenn's method.
Posts: 618 | From: Kailua-Kona, HI | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
JeAnne
Member # 44

posted 10-02-2004 06:03 PM     Profile for JeAnne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's hardly an option for everyone, but line drying sheets can be a help. It needs to be done with the first washing, though. Dryers will "set" the stain into the fabric.
Posts: 252 | From: Charlottesville, VA, USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jon O
Member # 5

posted 10-02-2004 09:16 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't have a probelem with my flannelette sheets, but I got some on my tan slacks and found that waterless hand cleaner (like the mechanics use) applied to the stain and gently rubbed in before tossing them in the wash did the trick quite well!
Posts: 708 | From: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
smooth
Member # 132

posted 10-03-2004 10:04 PM     Profile for smooth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I haven't used oil in years.
Posts: 339 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
NoelW
Member # 945

posted 10-04-2004 11:07 PM     Profile for NoelW     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
A client at the spa who used to be a mechanic said his wife used ammonia in the laundry to get the oil out of his coveralls. Haven't tried it yet, does anyone do this?
noel

Posts: 45 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laura Val
Member # 810

posted 10-05-2004 08:19 AM     Profile for Laura Val     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oil Be Gone in powder form from Best of Nature, http://www.bestofnature.com/, works great. I've been using the same sets of sheets for two years, and they don't have oil stains or smell rancid. (The liquid form of Oil Be Gone does not work as well.) I read or heard that dishwasher detergent works well, but haven't tried it yet.
Anne
Member # 99

posted 10-07-2004 11:18 PM     Profile for Anne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't care if you use oil, lotion or cream, after so long, RETIRE the sheets. My sheets second life is with the dogs, then they hit the car for the dogs, then they go to rags or the garden. I use 100% cotton so they will break down in the garden as sod busters.

Most additives do not work. Regular cleaning within 12 hours of using the sheets helps. Washing in hot water makes a difference. Add a half cup of peroxide (which is in color safe bleach) to the wash if you must add something. Baking soda isn't a bad choice either. Hang on the line. When they are looking worn, replace them. They were never meant to last forever.

And don't buy solid sheets. White and solid colors look stained much sooner than a simple pattern.

Posts: 548 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
smooth
Member # 132

posted 10-08-2004 10:53 AM     Profile for smooth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Amen, Anne.

I do use solid color flannel sheets, however. As you say, they get retired every couple of years and I use cream now which comes out very easily. Their use is rotated so each sheet is used and washed on a regular basis. The storage has good air circulation with wire mesh shelves.

I wanted my room to be clean and simple looking, but warm and welcoming, too. That's why my sheets and blankets are in a pale color that coordinates with the walls and blinds. Green plants and a stained glass light fixture on a dimmer switch add color accents and hominess.

Oooo. Now I'm inspired to go out and buy more sheets. Good thing I love that!

Posts: 339 | From: usa | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anne
Member # 99

posted 10-08-2004 12:27 PM     Profile for Anne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, isn't it great we are in a profession that indulges our desire to buy linens?

I have solid flannels too. But as a general rule I don't use solids. My clients only see the sheets on the table. I have this Amish pantry everything else hides in.

I probably have the only dogs who use 300+ thread count egyptian cotton sheets. Which brings me to....buy the best you can. I go to a discount store and pay, on average $5 a sheet, $4 for 2 pillowcases, all a minimum of 250 thread count, most 300-400. Find your local places that get these in and frequent them. You can get really high quality for the same discount sheet cost.

Posts: 548 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
maestra
Member # 590

posted 10-09-2004 11:34 PM     Profile for maestra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Anne,
It's been a long time since we've seen you on the board, welcome back!
I use a little bit of dawn dishwashing liquid, a couple tablespoons of ammonia, along with my regular laundry detergent (Arm & Hammer). Though I also use plaid cotton flannel sheets to hide stains, I really haven't had staining problems since I switched to Lotus Touch. I do try to wash the sheets within 24 hours as well as rotate my "stock" as others have suggested.
I do have to retire sheets anyway as Anne mentioned, usually due to the fact that IMHO, the flannel becomes to "thin" and faded. I've had some that lasted me 3 winters before I retired them ... and they're enjoying a second life helping a student get through massage therapy school.
BTW, she got compliments on them the first time she took a set to school. LOL
I am ALWAYS on the look out for the soft flannel plaids I like and usually find them for $8-$17 per set on clearance.

Posts: 384 | From: WI | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
TinaB
Member # 433

posted 10-10-2004 10:45 PM     Profile for TinaB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I, too, use ammonia in the wash water with a little bit of "dawn". But, occasionally, I will wash in hot water/cold rinse and add bleach instead of ammonia and line dry. Seems to be working just fine. I, also agree with "posters", that at some point, you must retire your sheets.
Posts: 191 | From: 355 Sunny Days | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST(US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Massage & Bodywork Resource Center

Copyright 1996-2009 Wellness Communications. All Rights Reserved.