my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  MassageResource.com   » Miscellaneous Discussions   » General Discussion Area   » Seeking help how to decorate Massage Business

Author Topic: Seeking help how to decorate Massage Business
aspirer
Member # 230

posted 01-31-2003 03:09 PM     Profile for aspirer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi. I'm looking for beautiful ideas on decorating. In particular, I'd like ideas on how to decorate a ceiling. Yes, you know, you've been on the massage table yourself and an ugly ceiling is not the most relaxing thing. I rent a space in an older building and I have false ceilings in my treatment rooms. My main treatment room I would really like to make a beautiful atmosphere. I'm short on space and try to make the most of what I have, but that ceiling is just bugging me. Any ideas? I've thought about putting up billowy fabric to create a "clouds" look, but can't seem to find enough of the same fabric (the is affordable) and a good way to keep it in place. Each time I move one of the false ceiling tiles, debris/dust from the old building ceiling (up above the false ceiling) falls down making quite a mess. The owners are not willing to put in new tiles and the current ones I scrubbed down when I opened my business with bleach and water to kill any mildew/mold. The seams that keep the tiles in place are bent and ugly in a few places. Also, one space (tile space) is a halogen light fixture that is nice, but I don't use as it is too bright, and the tile next to it has the heat vent coming out of it. Does anyone have some good ideas for me? Thanks for your time.
maestra
Member # 590

posted 01-31-2003 04:47 PM     Profile for maestra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
aspirer-
I have an idea. Not sure how well it will work but it might be worth giving a try.
I have wanted to try it in the treatment area where I work. But the owners are really wierd about me personalizing the space at all. I originally saw it in a cool restaurant about 20 years ago.
It will require some wire and some pretty but cheap material (I personally would recommend sheets, as you can always recycle them on your table later. LOL) Attach the wire to the wall near the ceiling rather than moving the ceiling tiles.
Then create a tent-like affect by draping the ceiling. You might even be able to run the wire through the hem of the sheets. drape it over additional wires for a more billowy affect if needed. When I saw it done at the restaurant I mentioned before, they used several different patterns in a similar color family. And if you wanted, the same fabric could be used to treat the windows (if any) in the room , and you could drape one or more walls as well. Perhaps using the fabric or a similar one as curtains around a cool picture or mirror?
The addition of some "uplights" (canlights) you can make up for the lack of light not using your overhead flourscent lights as well. They're fairly cheap at the local home improvement store. (Around $8 I think.)
BTW, it is possible to paint those ceiling tiles. I would think probably with KILZ to keep the stains from coming through,and then you could put on a fresh coat of white paint on the tiles as well as the framework. Anyway, hope this gives you something to think about. Perhaps it will at least get some of the others thinking about other possibilites. LOL

Posts: 384 | From: WI | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mart
Member # 718

posted 02-01-2003 04:23 AM     Profile for Mart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We had the same problem..

the we put some isolation on the ceiling to prevent dust comming down...

And for the optic - we put some solide table-cloth under it. Looks like a japanese paraven (like the movable wall).

See a Detail at Detail

dee
Member # 265

posted 02-01-2003 10:24 AM     Profile for dee   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the cieling in my office had these ugly flourescent lights without covers and my husband rigged up something to cover the area. he took those round poles that you can find at walmart for really cheap in the craft section (three of them), put a screw in hook on the end of each of them, and got some chain, decided on how low he wanted to hang the poles and made evenly lengthed pieces out of it. he then hooked the chain to the pole end and the other ends to the the metal bar on the cieling. we found a pattern of material we liked and draped it over the three poles and adjusted the material to drape evenly. it became a strip of material that covered the exposed light fixture (which happened to be right over the table. i don't use those lights, and instead found a light for the room and use candles as well. depending on the size of your cieling, you could do this twice or three times. in my case i only needed it in the center.

d

Posts: 367 | From: nc | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
leslie5
Member # 286

posted 02-02-2003 01:49 PM     Profile for leslie5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I took some inexpensive fake ivy and circled the ceiling with it. You just take a leaf and poke it up under the tiles to hold it up. I let it crawl down the wall in a couple corners. It makes the room feel warmer and more homey.
Posts: 42 | From: Pflugerville, Tx 78660 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
nnatman
Member # 301

posted 02-02-2003 04:08 PM     Profile for nnatman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
In an older office of mine I draped Queen sized Indian cotton sheets above the massage table so that the clients saw something more attractive than ceiling.

Another tip, slightly off topic: When I paint a session room I add 15-20 drops of Bach Flower Essences to the paint. Usually
Walnut, Rescue Remedy, Crab Apple. Many people have commented on the nice energy the session rooms have.

Natman

Posts: 139 | From: madison, WI, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Anne
Member # 99

posted 02-03-2003 07:22 AM     Profile for Anne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't do this but a teacher did....
she would use cooling eye pillows when you were face up so that the vacant staring into space wasn't an issue- they couldn't see anything.

Posts: 548 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
aspirer
Member # 230

posted 02-05-2003 02:15 PM     Profile for aspirer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey everyone, thanks so much for all the ideas. It helps to get my brain juices flowing. Just trying to visualize all of these. hmmm....

All times are MST(US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Massage & Bodywork Resource Center

Copyright 1996-2009 Wellness Communications. All Rights Reserved.