my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  MassageResource.com   » Miscellaneous Discussions   » General Discussion Area   » Raindrop Therapy

Author Topic: Raindrop Therapy
Jon O
Member # 5

posted 01-23-2003 08:00 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If anybody out there has first hand knowledge of Raindrop Therapy, I'ld like to hear from you.
Posts: 708 | From: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
plymouth
Member # 930

posted 01-23-2003 09:16 PM     Profile for plymouth     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I tried it on a client. It didn't work and the client complained about the smell lasting all week and getting into her clothes and not washing out.

Personally I stopped buying the oils when my favorite massage therapy message board got shut down because of all the spam from Young Living distributors.

When I complained to Young Living, their attitude was "not our problem."

Quackwatch is not my favorite website, but they've got a lot of dirt on Gary Young.

http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/young.html

Jon O
Member # 5

posted 01-23-2003 11:54 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What training did you get to learn it?
Anne
Member # 99

posted 01-24-2003 04:56 PM     Profile for Anne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jon, I have not recieved Raindrop Therapy. I do know folks who were taken into this therapy.

As an herbalist, I would always caution using essential oils in that quantity without a carrier oil.

Also I have seen and used, and seen the price of, the Younger Living (or whatever they are called) oils and they are maximumly overpriced.

What is it about the therapy that interests you?

Posts: 548 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jon O
Member # 5

posted 01-24-2003 07:30 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I took training up here in "Essential Alignment" The more I look at what raindrop entails, the more I think they just copied it and made a couple minor changes, and presented it very profesionally. I have seen it work really well in a few cases, but most people prefer the good old hands on Swedish style massage. The quantity of the oils is lots, but there is a carrier oil applied first. I don't know if I got "sucked in" or if theses people are genuine. It sure seems like their hearts are in the right place and she is a great therapist. I'm just thinking that they are trying to sell oils, although they do not have a problem with you using good quality oils in place of the brand they sell.
Jon O
Member # 5

posted 01-24-2003 07:32 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, I did check out the quackwatch site for the lowdown on Gary Young and Raindrop Therapy. Certainly some things to consider very carefully here! Thanks for the heads up.
irubu
Member # 489

posted 02-10-2003 07:28 AM     Profile for irubu     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It has come to my attention that The Swedish Institute of Massage is buying into Gary Young's scam. They are actually issuing CE credits for his multi-level marketing scheme.
On February 2 they held a class on Raindrop Technique. They will have a second session on May 4. This is from their website :
(C104) Aromatherapy: Raindrop Technique
Level 1
Instructor: Evelyn Li, LMT & Tina Awad, LMT
Session I
Tuition: $125/ $135 after January 20th
Date: February 2nd
Time: 9:45 AM – 5:30 PM
Session II
Tuition: $125/$135 after
Date: May 4th
Time: 9:45 AM – 5:30 PM

Location: The Swedish Institute- 226 West 26th St. 5th floor, New York, NY 10001
between  7th &  8th Avenues                 <DIRECTIONS>

Raindrop Technique is a massage application in which a series of 8 different essential oils are layered along the spine and back muscles to promote circulation, muscle relaxation, tissue healing and more. Raindrop Therapy oils help to align the spine, align the energy frequencies of the body, and promote self-healing. This powerful treatment uses essential oils which are anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, and help support muscle, bone, and nerve function. Raindrop Therapy can be used for anything from painful injuries to the flu, and it can be helpful for all chronic and viral conditions.

Bring your Young Living Raindrop Oils if you have them.

This course is approved for 7 Category B CEU’s

If any of you read about him at Quack Watch and are as disturbed as I am that a major school of massage is adding credibility to this quack and his scam. Please send them an e-mail or letter to tell them so.
They just happen to mention at the end of the course description "Bring your Young Living Oil if you have them" I am sure if you don't someone will be willing yo sign you up to the scam.
Their website is swedishinstitute.org

Jon O
Member # 5

posted 02-10-2003 03:01 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have been using a similar technique that has helped were regular massage has not. I do not dispute the false credentials Mr Young was using, but I think in some cases there is merit to the application of essential oils. I did check out the quack watch paper that was alluded to here earlier. Fortunately, most of the concerns brought up in that white paper have been addressed by the people I trained with for "Essential Alignment". The quack watch site is something that must be taken with a grain of salt too, as there are people out there trying to discredit anything that is not modern medicine and modern pharmaceuticals. You have to wonder about their motivation in some cases.

Jon O

irubu
Member # 489

posted 02-10-2003 04:00 PM     Profile for irubu     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Jon, Do you buy and sell the YL oils? Are you involved with the multi-level market? If the technique is so good why do you have to buy their oils? I buy and sell essential Oils and theirs are not the best quality for the price. There are also other websites that are not so pleased with "Dr Young".
My wife also read about a some people that were supporters of YL and tried to clinically verify their claims only to come away with more proof of placebo effect. Their are a lot of alternative therapies out there and I know the mainstream does not like non-invasive type therapy, but you have got to be a little bit wary of a company that has as many questionable practices as YL. That is unless you are saying that the facts are fabricated and "Dr. Young " did not get his credentials from a diploma mill.
If you need more info there is another website devoted to YL

nnatman
Member # 301

posted 02-10-2003 04:24 PM     Profile for nnatman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey Group:

I'm going for an hour and a half raindrop session later today. My wife bought me a gift certificate for a session with an acquaintance of ours.
I'll report back tommorrow.

Posts: 139 | From: madison, WI, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jon O
Member # 5

posted 02-10-2003 06:30 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I do not use YL oils. Mine come from Sunspirit of Australia, or Rae Dunphy of Calgary. They are not multilevel marketed, and both are very good quality. I want to here all about your treatment Nnat. I have not had "Raindrop Therapy" But I am considering it, just to compare it with "Essential Alignment"
irubu
Member # 489

posted 02-10-2003 06:31 PM     Profile for irubu     Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is fromThe Nationat Ass. of Holistic Aromatherapy:
Foundation of Conclusions

Current research of formal testing regarding the chemical structure, per cutaneous absorption and dermal metabolism of essential oils as well as potential skin reactions, including irritation, sensitization, phototoxicity and essential oil toxicity, determines existing standard safety guidelines.  Safety guidelines are based on the assumption that essential oils used in aromatherapy will be used at safe dilution levels for external use.

In addition to standard dilution guidelines, the aromatherapy practitioner must be aware of those individuals who are identified as a greater risk for developing potential skin reactions, including persons with known allergies, history of asthma, eczema, psoriasis, fair-haired, light skinned, and those with a history of multiple allergies and medical complications.[2] (Although this procedure does not preclude sensitization, only potential irritation), “in order to avoid potential skin reactions, those “at-risk” should receive skin “patch-testing” at “double the concentration planned to use, prior to application of each essential oil.” [3]   

There is no published clinical evidence to support that RDT has any correcting value as a tool to be used to adjust spinal curvatures caused by scoliosis, or align electric and structural elements, even if the essential oils were to be used at correct dilution levels and the individual’s skin was patch-tested prior to application. Therefore, because of the unsafe use of undiluted essential oils as well as unpublished claims, “Raindrop Therapy” technique as developed by Gary Young is not supported as a “best practice.”  

The discussion that follows will present a description of 1) Raindrop Therapy technique along with 2) current known safety standard guidelines regarding the dermal application of essential oils used in RDT practice and 3) literature regarding unfounded claims of the rationale for use of RDT.

SUPPORTING LITERATURE RESEARCH

This position is based on the following publications, which describe the technique and claims, from the following sources in print and video, as well as information found on the World Wide Web.

Essential Oils Desk Reference, Second Edition, 2001 Essential Science Publishing pg. 191-198

The Science and Application of Essential Oils, D. Gary Young, ND “Aromatologist”, Young Living Oils, (Video) 1994

Excerpts from Aromatherapy, The Essential Beginning by Gary Young, no longer in print. pg 1-7

Jon O
Member # 5

posted 02-10-2003 08:44 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the quote, I have read the white paper posted there. Patch testing is part of the "Essential Alignment" protocol. I am going to get the references to scoliosis either substantiated as fact, or dropped from the "Essential Alignment" list of benifits.
Anne
Member # 99

posted 02-11-2003 01:31 PM     Profile for Anne     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just a comment re: the practitioner....wouldn't all that exposure to undiluted essential oils potentially cause problems?
Posts: 548 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jon O
Member # 5

posted 02-11-2003 01:45 PM     Profile for Jon O   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is a possible concern. This is reduced by using fingernails to spread them and also having a small towel handy to wipe your hands often. The therapist who taught us has been using oils for 10 years and feels that the exposure has had a positive effect. She is rarely off sick. Good ventilation is suggested, but how many massage therapy rooms have that?

All times are MST(US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Massage & Bodywork Resource Center

Copyright © 1996-2009 Wellness Communications. All Rights Reserved.