my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
»  MassageResource.com   » Miscellaneous Discussions   » General Discussion Area   » Bruising after massage

Author Topic: Bruising after massage
Shep
unregistered

posted 11-26-1999 03:54 PM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a client that i worked on the other day call me and say that she has some bruising on her buttox following the massage treatment. I am really concerned about this since i have never had this happen before. The pressure wasnt any deeper than usual for her and wasnt even deep tissue. I was treating her for pain in that area and in her lower back. I worked the area with my fist and elbow, and rotated her leg as i worked. She did say that "she could feel it" when i worked on her in that area, but she never mentioned the pressure being TOO deep. She is a smoker, would that have any bearing on that bruising? HELP!! I really need someone to help me figure out what went wrong here! Thanks
IP: Logged
Michele
Member # 6

posted 11-26-1999 04:04 PM     Profile for Michele   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did the client have a lot of adipose tissue in the area where you worked? Fat tissue is very vascular, & even medium pressure can bruise. Many people think that fat clients need deeper work & stronger pressure than thin people -- NOT SO!

I always warn clients that there may be some very slight bruising in areas where I do any muscle release, ichemic pressure, or even intense cross fiber friction. If they confirm they had bruising when they next come to see me, I lighten up just a tad.

Excessive bruising is not the norm. If this is the case, the client may want to have it checked out by their physician. Also, go over the intake form the client filled out to double check for anything that might explain the problem.

Posts: 565 | From: New Castle, DE USA | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Theresa
Member # 42

posted 11-26-1999 04:08 PM     Profile for Theresa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Dear Shep:

Deep tissue is a relative term (in my opinion). Since your client was there because of pain; extra care should be taken to ensure that the correct amount of pressure is applied. (It might be different than she/he normally can tolerate due to the injury/pain.) A lot of times the client will tolerate too much pressure for a variety of reasons. Being a smoker may have something to do with the bruising; however, you might want to ask her if she is on a blood thinning medication (i.e. Coumadin, etc.)if she bruises easily, etc. The pressure along with the stretching may have been enough to cause the bruise. Don't be too alarmed; it should fade in a few days. Just be careful to work within your client's tolerance at the time of the session, not just relying on what they've tolerated in the past. Use caution when applying pressure with fists and elbows. Some moist heat to the area before STW might help also providing there is no inflammation. Hope these suggestions help.

Sincerely,
Theresa

Posts: 53 | From: Sandpoint, Idaho | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
Louis
unregistered

posted 11-27-1999 06:54 AM       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
All the feedback is correct Shep but I might add that anytime you use elbows or knucs in deep tissue work for example; any pain acute pain reduction especially in the gluteal/leg area, warn the client of possible bruising. You may ask as you are working, "Do you bruise easily?" Some people are that way medication or not.

When working deep tissue, MFR, or scar tissue reduction I always warn the client/patient of possible soreness or bruising. The soreness/bruising happens only rarly but when it does the client/patient appreciates the warning. It also covers your bu-- if needed.

If bruising this client is the first or one of few not to worry. If it happens more often its time to worry.

IP: Logged
Dennis
Member # 30

posted 11-29-1999 11:29 AM     Profile for Dennis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
"The pressure wasnt any deeper than usual for her and wasnt even deep tissue"

I assume you've worked on her before; was she taking any drugs (aspirin, etc.), or other supplements (ginkgo biloba, vitamins, etc.)? These "thin blood" (not really) and make bruising more likely.

Posts: 2 | From: Aylmer, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged

All times are MST(US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Massage & Bodywork Resource Center

Copyright 1996-2009 Wellness Communications. All Rights Reserved.